Would you like to help contribute to the Sewing for Smiles cause? We are always looking for more people to help by sewing new dresses, donating sewing supplies, or helping to deliver our dresses to the places and the children who need them most!
Do You Have Sewing Experience?
If you have some basic sewing experience, please see our Sewing page to learn more about the dressmaking process, find instructions, and more. No sewing experience? No problem – there are many ways to help our cause.
Our dressmakers donate their time and skill in transforming pillowcases into fun and functional dresses for impoverished children. First and foremost this requires pillowcases as the foundation for each dress. Throughout the process, many sewing supplies are also used.
Please be aware, our organization is a ministry and not a 501(c) charity at this time. Due to this, there are a few restrictions in regard to what and how we may accept contributions. If you would like to contribute, please read on to learn about just a few of the great ways to get started.
Donated pillowcases are the foundation of Sewing for Smiles and provide most of the material for the dresses we create. Each donated pillowcase will be hand-tailored, enhanced, and decorated – transforming them into both fun and functional dresses for the girls who need them most.
- New or much loved, we use all donations.
- All sizes, colors, stripes and patterns are welcome!
We always need more sewing supplies to distribute among our dressmakers, enabling them to re-purpose donated pillowcases into fun and functional dresses.
- Any width, color, length.
- All colors.
- At least 1/2″ wide.
- Solid colors or youthful prints.
- Rick Rack
- Medium to jumbo size.
- All colors.
- Bias Tape
- Extra Wide (1/2″), double fold, is preferred.
- Elastic –1/2 inch any color or style
Donated gift cards are used responsibly toward the purchase of the above sewing supplies, which are then distributed among our dressmakers to breath new life into pillowcases.
- JoAnn Fabrics
- Hobby Lobby
- Walmart (Thread, Bias Tape)
- Amazon (Bulk Elastic, Bulk Bias Tape)
If you would like to directly contribute funds for supplies instead of a gift card, the ministry does accept checks. We are grateful for each and every donation, and it’s our promise that it will be used responsibly toward our cause of helping as many children as possible.
|Please make checks out to…||Sewing for Smiles|
|Please mail checks to…||The Homecourt Real Estate|
15 South Sixth Street, Geneva, IL 60134
“What can a $20 donation do?”
- Buy 40 pillow cases at Estate/Church sales.
- Buy 50 yards of bias tape on Amazon and 4 pillow cases at Estate/Church sales.
- Buy 144 yards of elastic on Amazon and 10 pillow cases at Estate/Church sales.
- Buy 10 packages of bias tape and 6 spools of thread on 50% off sale.